Here's a link to the Illinois Writing Project website if you're curious about what that is.
I want to spend a little extra time thinking about (and writing about) being a writer and a teacher. I want to get as much as I can out of this workshop, and I think that the first step is to really throw myself into reading about writing instruction, writing about writing instruction, and really trying some new ways of teaching writing.
Here are some of the books that I'm going to dust off and read (or re-read):
- In the Middle by Nancie Atwell
- Teaching Adolescent Writers by Kelly Gallagher
- After the End by Barry Lane
- But How do you Teach Writing? by Barry Lane
- The Art of Teaching Writing by Lucy Calkins
- Writing Essentials by Regie Routman
- Digital Storytelling by Carolyn Handler Miller
The real goal here is to try to synthesize and model writing-as-thinking and writing-to-learn. I want to dig deeper here and really turn this proclivity into a resource that I can be proud of.